Monday, March 22, 2010

a spring awakening for your taste buds

My husband and I have a habit of buying fruit with the intention of eating them before they go bad, however, often times, that is not the case. This is especially so with bananas. I hate bananas. I can only eat bananas if I put them in my cereal or if they're in bread form. In fact, it's pretty safe to say that I buy bananas so that I can make banana bread. As soon as they turn black, it's on!!

So, for those of you who are like me, you'll love this recipe. And if you LOVE bananas, then you'll REALLY love this recipe.
It goes like so...
Ingredients:
  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon (no need for a mixer), mash the bananas, then blend in your butter in with the nanners. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Then mix in the baking soda and salt. Add the flour last, and mix. Pour your mixture into a 4x8 greased loaf pan (I used butt'ah) and bake for 1 hour (I also sprinkle nutmeg atop my mixture before baking). Let cool.
By this time, your house should be filled with a delicious aroma of fresh banana loaf bread.
Spread honey, agave, or cream cheese on your bread and enjoy!
If you decide to try this recipe, please let me know what you think and how it turned out.
Bon Appetit!

0 Responses: